People will tell you that you can’t have your cake and eat it too. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never met a slice of cake I didn’t take a bite out of. I have it, and I eat it. And it’s glorious. So I say, bake yourself a giant cake, eat some, and share the leftovers. Because in life, it IS possible to have it all. It may not be easy, but it’s possible. And while we each uniquely define the “all” that we desire, there are 10 sure-fire ways to go after it.
- Dream big. Nobody ever achieved greatness by settling. So dream big. Bigger than you’re comfortable with. Setting goals that are slightly outside of what you believe to be possible keep you motivated and in a constant state of progression and development. Set your sights sky-high.
- Have a plan. Now that you have a big dream, you need a plan to get there. Like building a beautiful tiered cake, you’ll need to work step-by-step and complete a solid foundation and build upon it. One tier at a time, create a manageable strategy and timeline for completion. Modifications may be required as you go, but a plan will help keep your focus.
- Show appreciation and gratitude. It’s super easy to get caught up in your own plan, and the things that are going right or wrong. Keep a healthy perspective by actively expressing appreciation and gratitude for the things and people around you. They are the supporting roles in your plan to have it all, so nurture those relationships continuously.
- Exude positivity. Negativity is not something most people gravitate toward. This day in age, it’s easy to fall prey to the negativity of the news, social media and all the obstacles you’re confronted with. But self-fulfilling prophecy is a real thing. Think positive, and positive things will happen, and positive people will surround you.
- Stay organized. Life can be chaotic for all of us, especially when you’re trying to have it all. So organization has to remain a top priority. The classic to-do list is a powerful tool, and the ability to keep your schedule and plans in order is imperative to keeping your mind clear and focused. If the world around you is well-organized, you’ll have fewer distractions and less stress.
- Network wisely. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know (I stole that). Relationships are one of the most significant factors in your quest for world domination (or whatever your “all” is). Network wisely. People can detect phony friendships and ulterior motives, so create a network that you truly believe in and enjoy being a part of. A strong network generates a web of opportunity and support.
- Be transparent. Trust is important. In love, in work, in friendship, in parenting…in everything. So be transparent. You don’t have to know it all to have it all. It’s ok to ask for help, and it’s ok to admit when you’re wrong. As long as you’re a transparent and trustworthy person, you’ll find that people will make more personal or professional investments in you.
- Work your ass off. Having it all does not come without sweat and blood and tears. Your willingness to put in the extra effort will determine your long-term success. Cutting corners, getting lazy, or becoming comfortable are the quickest ways to lose momentum. So without neglecting home and health and some leisure time for clearing your mind, work your ass off.
- Pave your own way. Mimicking the success of others will only get you so far. Though some of the ideas or dreams might share similarities, it’s not yours, so some accountability and passion is lost. Pave your own way. Make your own mark. Create your own unique plan and journey. When it’s your very own you’ll do what it takes to keep the dream and plan alive.
- Love without caution. I’m not just talking about loving people. Love anything and everything without caution or hesitation. There simply isn’t enough love in the world. Release yourself of preconceived notions and assumptions, and love your hobbies and your work and your dreams and your family and your friends with no reservations. A little love can open up a whole new world.
Unless you’re at a wedding, you can’t expect slices of goodness to just land in your lap. But with some time and effort, you can bake your own damn cake using only the highest quality ingredients and your favorite flavors. Then you can dig in for an enjoyable experience, share the fruits of your labor with those you love, and lick your fingers clean. Have your cake, and eat it too. Cause you CAN have it all.